NORTHAMPTON, Mass. - The Smith College lacrosse team received goals from 10 different players in Saturday's 16-0 win over Newbury. At 6-1, the Pioneers are off to their best start in program history. Smith also recorded their first shutout in the history of the program.
- First year Sydney Garner (Beaverton, Ore./Oregon Episcopal School) led the way with three goals and three ground balls.
- First year Bella Ferraro (Orange, Conn./Amity) finished with two goals, one assist, five ground balls, five caused turnovers, and five draw controls.
- Junior Lizzie Sturtevant (Leyden, Mass./Northfields Mount Hermon) tallied her first goals of the season with her two scores.
- Sophomore Chloe Harris (Alexandria, Va./West Potomac) totaled a game-high five assists in the win.
- Kyliene Phillips (Schenectady, N.Y.) finished with two draw controls, one ground ball, and one caused turnover for the Nighthawks.
- Goalkeeper Keely Molloy (Staten Island, N.Y.) made a career-high 18 saves in the losing effort.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Julia Hamilton (Williamstown, Mass./Deerfield Academy ) scored both of her goals in the first three minutes of action, the first of which would eventually stand up as the game-winner. After Harris found the back of the net at the 26:20 mark, it was Garner's turn to go back-to-back in less than a minute to give the Pioneers a 5-0 lead just 5:11 into the contest.
Ferraro netted an unassisted goal with 23:31 on the clock before Sturtevant scored twice for her first goals of the season. Natalie Schad (Fitchburg, Wisc./Verona Area) registered her first collegiate goal with 7:06 left in the first half. The Pioneers went into halftime with a comfortable 14-0 lead.
Garner and Williams scored the lone goals in the second half for the 16-0 final.
The Nighthawks fall to 0-3 with the loss and continue their inaugural season on Feb. 21 at Albertus Magnus; faceoff is scheduled for 5:00 p.m.
Portions of this release courtesy Smith College Athletics