Score: Newbury College, 0; Emmanuel College, 3 (25-10, 25-15, 25-12)
Records: Newbury College Nighthawks (0-2); Emmanuel College Saints (1-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, January 27th, 2018
THE LEAD: Junior outside hitter Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif.) posted 12 kills and 16 digs to lift Emmanuel College past Newbury College, 3-0 (25-10, 25-15, 25-12), Saturday afternoon in non-conference men's volleyball action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints jumped out to an early 2-1 lead before rattling off 10 consecutive points behind the service game of junior middle hitter Alex Silva (Jamaica Plain, Mass.) to set the tone for the match with a 12-1 lead.
- Sophomore setter Seamus McDonagh (Long Beach, N.Y.) ran an efficient offense in the set, dishing out 10 assists and helping the Saints to a .682 hitting percentage.
- Trevor Thorne and Alvin Fernandes each had two kills apiece for the Nighthawks in the frame.
- Emmanuel found itself in a similar spot in the second set, racing out to an 11-1 lead with the help of a strong stretch from English behind the service line.
- Newbury was able to get it back to single digits and cut the lead to 16-8 following an Emmanuel hitting error but the Saints extended the margin back to double-digits en route to the 25-15 win.
- Silva recorded four kills on four swings for EC while Thorne led Newbury with three kills in the set.
- Newbury took its first lead of the match early in the third set following a service ace by Thorne to put them ahead 2-1 before the Saints rattle off four consecutive points to take the lead for good and make it 5-2.
- Leading 6-4, Emmanuel went on a 7-1 run powered by three kills from English to extend the lead to 13-5.
- English dominated the set for Emmanuel, recording seven kills and five digs to help the hosts to the 25-12 score and 3-0 sweep of the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
· Through three matches, English has posted three double-doubles and is currently averaging 4.18 digs and 3.64 kills per set.
· Thorne finished with a team-high seven kills and seven digs for the Nighthawks while Jeremias Soto collected 10 assists.
· McDonagh dished out 33 assists for Emmanuel, assisting to 10 different players to run a balanced attack.
· EC freshman Austin Benoit (Springfield, Mass.) made his collegiate debut in the win and registered a service ace.
Boston, Mass: The Ramapo College men's volleyball team was on the road today at Emmanuel College where they posted a 3-0 win over Newbury, before falling to host Emmanuel, 0-3. The Roadrunners falls to 1-3 overall on the season.
In their first match-up with Newbury, the Roadrunners posted a 3-0 (25-16, 25-15, 25-16) sweep behind six kills from Jason Van Der Wilt. Brenden Russell and Eric Van Thuyne recorded five kills each as the team combined for 29-59 with 12 errors hitting .288. Lucas Inglis dished out 23 assists and the defense was led by Wilton Negrin as Van Der Wilt collected five service aces. Oscar Chavez led Newbury with six kills as his team hit 13-58 with 21 errors hitting -.138 in the loss. Cesar Cruz picked up four digs and Jeremias Soto collected 13 assists.
Portions of this release courtesy Emmanuel Athletics